Skip to main content

Common Challenges: The Art of the Start

I did the strangest thing today. I tried on all of my dresses I've collected in my closet for the last nine years. Why did I do this you ask?  I was cleaning out my closet and I was celebrating reaching my pre wedding weight.

I'm a dietitian. I'm a mom. I have two jobs and I watch what I eat for the most part but with all that I have going on I have definitely put my dietary habits at the bottom of the barrel.  Sometimes I go through my day and by the time I sit down to eat I'm in crisis mode which is not the best mode to be in to allow for wise decisions.

I exercise intensely four times a week and since I've had my children who are ages three and two, I have held on to nine pounds.  This may not sound like a lot, and I'm not saying it is, but for me at five feet two it’s a pant size.

So instead of practicing what I preach I decided to treat myself like a client.  I did the food records; I analyzed my intake to goal, and changed up my routine.  It was hard to prioritize and at times I felt selfish not doing the baths for my children because I needed to get my exercise in. I was even tired getting up early in the a.m. to prep our dinner but I feel great and I'm confident that what I preach works if you're willing to put the effort in.

If you want to lose weight and keep it off there are five critical components:
1. Have a reasonable goal - (lose 1-2 pounds a week)
2. Schedule your time - (work out from 7:730 am every M, W, F, and Sat)
3. Keep Records - (write it down, it keeps you honest)
4. Hold yourself accountable- (tell your family or friends your goals, or get a buddy)
5. Celebrate your successes- (don't reward yourself with food, go to the movies, buy a new book)

As Walt Disney said "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing."  Good luck and be well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miraculous Misconceptions: Raspberry Ketones

The interwebs are abuzz about the supposedly “miraculous” Raspberry Ketone supplements. Raspberry Ketone popularity started with Dr. Oz's show in February 2012, when he nicknamed it a “miracle weight loss drug.” Some even credit Raspberry Ketones with stimulating hair growth, but for our purposes here, let’s talk about weight loss. Raspberry Ketones are derived from red raspberries. Proponents claim that the supplement will stimulate your metabolism causing weight loss. However, there are no reliable studies to prove this.   Specifically there is no scientific evidence to show how it alters metabolism to promote weight loss. There is also no scientific evidence to determine a proper dosage. If you find a study that claims otherwise, check the funding source. Most likely, that study was funded by a company who produces or funds raspberry ketone products. As far as I know, no major pharmaceutical companies are investing in Raspberry Ketone research. And it is my opinion ...

Make it Happen

Parents, I see you. I see you putting everyone else's needs in front of yours. I see your dark circles under your eyes, your gray hair, that your wasting away, or that you've collectively gained weight over the years. It's time to put yourselves first because if you don't take care of yourself you won't be around to keep taking care of everyone else. So often friends, acquaintances, or clients say to me, "I don't know how you find the time to exercise." "How can you take the time away from everything else and get away to exercise?" "I wish I could actually focus on myself and exercise." Exercise to me is self care. It produces endorphins faster than any other activity I engage in. It  reduces my stress, keeps me healthy, increases flexibility, and gives me more energy to be on point with my busy kids and my demanding job. My exercise isn't extravagant and it doesn't take too much time. Here's my secret. I always ...

You are what you eat BUT it takes longer than a day!

Recent research by Cornell University published a week ago in the New England Journal of Medicine proves that holiday weight gain does happen and most of it is from October to about ten days after Christmas.  The study analyzed 3,000 individuals over a years time focusing on daily weights that were collected and analyzed by a wireless Withings Scale. Although the average weight gain from October to November was only 1.3 pounds this may prove that holiday weight gain is not a myth. Of interest, the study also showed that fifty percent lost the weight shortly after the holiday season while it took the other fifty percent about five months to lose the excess weight, shortly after Easter. Author Dr. Wansink advises  “Instead of a New Year’s resolution to lose weight, have an October resolution  not to gain too much weight  in the first place. Then you won’t have to worry about five months of struggling." At Kindred Nutrition we tend to agree with Dr. Wansin...