Skip to main content

Sensible Sports Nutrition: Hydration and Exercise

I recently purchased Nancy Clark's sports nutrition guide book.  It is such a great book with a lot of information backed up by good research.  If you are an athlete, aspiring athlete, or just interested in how to fuel your body for all types of exercise I definitely recommend this book.

Growing up I played soccer pretty much all year round.  I love the sport and miss playing every day.  I also ran track for a little while focusing on sprinting and hurdles. I think back to how easy it was to run for hours on end during a soccer game or to get ready for a 100 yard dash compared to how much more difficult it is to get a workout in years later with jobs, kids, and all the other responsibilities in life.

A couple of months ago I started running 5K’s.  For an ex sprinter and right winger this was a long distance for me to train for.  Surprisingly, I was happy with how I ran and I absolutely loved the environment.  So I’m continuing to run and bike and recently became really courageous and signed up for a 5 miler July 2nd.  I still consider myself a fitness exerciser (exercising 30-60 minutes, four days a week), but the benefits are so rewarding as the running and biking is a stress reliever.  I’m also  noticing more muscle development in areas that have been challenged during my ‘child rearing years.’  My performance has always been dependent on hydration and the more I talk to others the more confused I get.   After reading Nancy Clark’s recommendations yesterday I thought I’d share some of her wisdom. 

First and foremost, ‘fitness exercises’ can mostly hydrate and rehydrate easily if eating regular balanced meals and drinking fluids throughout the day.  It is important to pay attention to hydration pre exercise, however, and Nancy recommends drinking 2-3 ml of fluid per pound at least four hours before exercise.  This comes out to about 10 ounces for a 120 pound person as one ounce equals about 30 ml.  If you drink a product that has sodium it may increase thirst, but it will help retain the fluid so that you do not feel the need to excrete right away.

As for during exercise, it’s recommended to know your sweat rate if you exercise for more than 3 hours.  For those of us who exercise for an hour or more at a time, it’s recommended to hydrate with 30-60 grams of carbohydrate per hour.  Sixteen ounces of Gatorade or Powerade  fall into this category.

Rehydrating after exercise is not an exact science but its recommended to sip fluids over time verse drinking large volumes at a once.  Rehydration also depends on when your next exercise event is, but drinking 50 percent more fluid than you lost in sweat will enhance complete recovery from dehydration.

Hydrating can come in many forms such as water, milk, orange juice, and sports drinks.  When looking at sports drinks weigh your options.  It’s suggested to choose a product that provides 13-18 grams of carbohydrate per 8 ounce that also has some sodium in it.  It’s not mandatory to have a product that has vitamins in it, because absorption does not occur as quickly as consumed. Also there is not sufficient research that proves herbs, such as ginseng, have any benefit to exercise.  Protein is also dependent on the type and time of exercise.  Protein alters taste but research does prove that protein can reduce muscle soreness post exercise.  As for caffeine, this is based on the individual. Some people benefit from caffeine and notice a jolt in energy, but some are sensitive and notice anxiety or tremors.  Be aware of the calorie intake in all drinks, especially sports drinks.  You do not want to drink all the calories you just burnt off. 

As for me, I’ll be sticking with my pre exercise regimen of water and rehydrating with my G2 Gatorade after the races (the new G2 products have less calories per serving).  Wish me luck on July 2nd!  To all the other runners out there good luck and be well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make it Happen

Parents, I see you. I see you putting everyone else's needs in front of yours. I see your dark circles under your eyes, your gray hair, that your wasting away, or that you've collectively gained weight over the years. It's time to put yourselves first because if you don't take care of yourself you won't be around to keep taking care of everyone else. So often friends, acquaintances, or clients say to me, "I don't know how you find the time to exercise." "How can you take the time away from everything else and get away to exercise?" "I wish I could actually focus on myself and exercise." Exercise to me is self care. It produces endorphins faster than any other activity I engage in. It  reduces my stress, keeps me healthy, increases flexibility, and gives me more energy to be on point with my busy kids and my demanding job. My exercise isn't extravagant and it doesn't take too much time. Here's my secret. I always

Why this Dietitian Cares more about your PREbiotics than your PRObiotic Pill

Clients ask me all the time what I think of their brand of probiotic or which one they should start taking.  Studies have shown that probiotic supplements definitely have their place in certain circumstances (that’s a whole other blog for another time), but my bigger concern is... what are you feeding the ones you have already? “Probiotics” is just a fancy word for helpful bacteria.  Even if you don’t take a pill, you have these little guys in your digestive track.  The problem right now is that current probiotic supplements can only include the bacteria that scientists have been able to 1) identify and 2) put in a pill without them dying right away.   However, we (probiotic and non-probiotic users alike) have so many different strains of bacteria (somewhere in the neighborhood of billions) who do so much good for us such as make vitamins and help battle bad bacteria.  BUT - just like us - they need to eat!  A recent study showed that a diet high in protein is not in their

To The Bones- A review from a dietitian

Friday July 14th, Netflix premiered the movie To The Bone.  Prior to the premier many had opinions of the movie. Some were fearful that it would glorify an Eating Disorder, some felt the movie would put too much focus on extremely thin patients with Eating Disorders neglecting those that are within normal weight but still extremely sick, and many had a lot of opinions about the lead actress who lost a significant amount of weight for the role disclosing she is in recovery for an Eating Disorder. My colleagues and I discussed the pretense of the movie, I communicated to families that the movie was coming out in case their daughters and sons watched the movie, and Friday I went home from work and viewed the movie. Although Hollywood has a way of sensationalizing everything there was a lot that the movie got right. The opening scene where Ellen counts the calories as soon as she sees the food is a good depiction of how someone with an Eating Disorder thinks. Food is not sensual it i