Skip to main content

Miraculous Misconceptions: Raspberry Ketones


The interwebs are abuzz about the supposedly “miraculous” Raspberry Ketone supplements.

Raspberry Ketone popularity started with Dr. Oz's show in February 2012, when he nicknamed it a “miracle weight loss drug.” Some even credit Raspberry Ketones with stimulating hair growth, but for our purposes here, let’s talk about weight loss.

Raspberry Ketones are derived from red raspberries. Proponents claim that the supplement will stimulate your metabolism causing weight loss. However, there are no reliable studies to prove this.  Specifically there is no scientific evidence to show how it alters metabolism to promote weight loss. There is also no scientific evidence to determine a proper dosage. If you find a study that claims otherwise, check the funding source. Most likely, that study was funded by a company who produces or funds raspberry ketone products.

As far as I know, no major pharmaceutical companies are investing in Raspberry Ketone research. And it is my opinion that they would be ALL OVER any miraculous weight loss supplements.   Developing and refining them into prescription strength drugs could make billions.

The Takeaway

·         Will Raspberry Ketones help you lose weight? It is very, very unlikely. (I won’t say NO only because the research is so sparse, it is inappropriate to speak in absolutes.)However, I can say that I would be absolutely shocked if you did lose weight without also making positive changes to your diet and exercise regimen. The good news is that if you can make those positive changes, you don’t need to waste your money on unproven supplements!

·         Are Raspberry Ketones a danger to your health? Possibly. They have not been studied enough to be certain. Potential side effects include an increase in blood pressure and heart palpitations. These side effects are a red flag for many people, especially those with cardiovascular concerns.  Definitely talk to your doctor before taking Raspberry Ketones, and make sure to tell him or her of any other supplements and medications you are taking.  

·         But Dr. Oz says X, Y, and Z… Dr. Oz is a medical doctor, so I’m sure he is knowledgeable in many areas.  Always keep in mind that the primary purpose of television is to entertain. Dr. Oz is a television host. In this role he is more of an entertainer and I’m sure that even he would agree with this view. After all, the bottom of every page of his website states: “THIS WEBSITE IS FOR INFORMATIONAL AND ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY AND IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR MEDICAL ADVICE, DIAGNOSIS, OR TREATMENT.”

·         Raspberry Ketones are guaranteed to do one thing. Make your wallet lighter.

 

Unfortunately, Raspberry Ketones look like another weight-loss short-cut fad, bound to disappoint anyone looking for a magic bullet. But don’t be too disappointed. You can lose weight. It will take more time and effort than taking your daily Raspberry Ketone pill, but you can still do it!

 

A dietitian is a great resource when you are trying to eat for optimal nutrition, weight loss or gain, or peak athletic performance and endurance. Call Kindred Nutrition today. We are happy to help you create an eating plan that uses research-based diets and strategies to obtain great results.

 

 

Comments

Phil Hudson said…
So I realize there are a lot of mixed feelings when it comes to anything weightloss related, but I am glad to see this post was mostly informational and not necessarily attacking or promoting the product. My question, however, is if I wanted to try it, are there better versions than others? For example I found http://www.wisevitamins.com/products/raspberry-ketone as a recommended brand. Has anyone had any experience with it?
Unknown said…
@Phil: I don't think there is any difference between products. They are the same substance.
raphking5 said…
Thats a great article on rasperry ketones that i didnt know about. More on the paleo side of life like:
http://howtomakenaturalmilkkefirdrink.tumblr.com/
Unknown said…
Thanks for sharing! I have so many hopeful (but mislead) patients looking for a "miracle cure." There is no miracle cure besides eating well and moving well.

www.ftcollinsweightloss.com
Unknown said…
Thanks for the post..........
http://www.absolutenutrition.co.in/
General Post said…
I have been through several posts on this very subject but the satisfactory information that I found here is something that all other blogs are missing.

Raspberry Ketone
dsds said…
Hay, Great sharing. I am really happy to read this site's content. I think there are good information. all articles are very well. Really admin is talent and intelligent. Thanks for sharing.raspberry ketone reviews

Popular posts from this blog

Make it Happen

Parents, I see you. I see you putting everyone else's needs in front of yours. I see your dark circles under your eyes, your gray hair, that your wasting away, or that you've collectively gained weight over the years. It's time to put yourselves first because if you don't take care of yourself you won't be around to keep taking care of everyone else. So often friends, acquaintances, or clients say to me, "I don't know how you find the time to exercise." "How can you take the time away from everything else and get away to exercise?" "I wish I could actually focus on myself and exercise." Exercise to me is self care. It produces endorphins faster than any other activity I engage in. It  reduces my stress, keeps me healthy, increases flexibility, and gives me more energy to be on point with my busy kids and my demanding job. My exercise isn't extravagant and it doesn't take too much time. Here's my secret. I always

Why this Dietitian Cares more about your PREbiotics than your PRObiotic Pill

Clients ask me all the time what I think of their brand of probiotic or which one they should start taking.  Studies have shown that probiotic supplements definitely have their place in certain circumstances (that’s a whole other blog for another time), but my bigger concern is... what are you feeding the ones you have already? “Probiotics” is just a fancy word for helpful bacteria.  Even if you don’t take a pill, you have these little guys in your digestive track.  The problem right now is that current probiotic supplements can only include the bacteria that scientists have been able to 1) identify and 2) put in a pill without them dying right away.   However, we (probiotic and non-probiotic users alike) have so many different strains of bacteria (somewhere in the neighborhood of billions) who do so much good for us such as make vitamins and help battle bad bacteria.  BUT - just like us - they need to eat!  A recent study showed that a diet high in protein is not in their

To The Bones- A review from a dietitian

Friday July 14th, Netflix premiered the movie To The Bone.  Prior to the premier many had opinions of the movie. Some were fearful that it would glorify an Eating Disorder, some felt the movie would put too much focus on extremely thin patients with Eating Disorders neglecting those that are within normal weight but still extremely sick, and many had a lot of opinions about the lead actress who lost a significant amount of weight for the role disclosing she is in recovery for an Eating Disorder. My colleagues and I discussed the pretense of the movie, I communicated to families that the movie was coming out in case their daughters and sons watched the movie, and Friday I went home from work and viewed the movie. Although Hollywood has a way of sensationalizing everything there was a lot that the movie got right. The opening scene where Ellen counts the calories as soon as she sees the food is a good depiction of how someone with an Eating Disorder thinks. Food is not sensual it i