Skip to main content

Miraculous Misconceptions: Oh brother: Healthy eating privilege of the rich?

I just love when I get questions or blog ideas from my Kindred Community and have to give my husband kudos for forwarding this study to me and asking me what I think.  Today a study was mentioned on Yahoo titled “Healthy Eating Privilege of the Rich?”  The study focuses on the food pyramid changes in 2010 recommending an increase in consumption of potassium, dietary fiber, vitamin D, and calcium rich foods.  Two thousand individuals in the state of Washington participated in a telephone survey which then led to the request for a printed survey to be completed.  Only 1300 of the printed surveys were returned.  The information provided in this article states that the printed survey focused on food eaten.  Nutrients were then analyzed and estimated in cost. 

Conclusions from this study state that the more money spent on food, the closer the people were to meeting the food pyramid guidelines of potassium, dietary fiber, vitamin D, and calcium which then led to a request for the government to do more to help consumers eat healthier. 

I have a lot of questions regarding this study since I could not get my hands on it, but I’ll keep those to myself.  I agree with Parke Wilde, Associate Professor at Friedman School of Nutritional Science and Policy at Tufts University who states it is not expensive to get all nutrients and that diets get more expensive with the more rules they have.  I also love a comment I saw from a reader stating “A multipack box of Twinkies costs $3. A bunch of bananas or a pound of apples can be had for half of that. So cost isn't the issue, choice is.”

There are many less expensive foods that are affordable for most. When I look at potassium one can focus on pinto beans and lentils, bananas, raisins, oranges or orange juice, baked sweet potatoes, canned peas, and mushrooms.  You can receive vitamin D from fortified cereal, dairy products, eggs, and mushrooms.  If you are looking for calcium rich foods focus on yogurt, fortified OJ, milk, and kale.  Fiber is provided in most fruits and vegetables, fortified cereals, beans and legumes. 

Most of these items are relatively inexpensive and can even be grown in a home garden or purchased at farmers markets.  If you don’t have access to either of these, you can most likely utilize sales and specials to purchase the most economic products towards your weekly budget with a little planning and forethought. This article focuses on food stamps not allowing the purchase of potatoes.  I agree that is unfortunate, however do they allow for the purchase of fortified cereals, bananas, and milk?  This just was not that great of an argument for me.

My recommendation is if you are on a limited budget but you want to get your nutrients in, I say gat an egg in for breakfast with ¾ cup of a high fiber fortified cereal and ½ cup of milk.  Try adding bananas, raisins, oranges, baked sweet potatoes and mushrooms throughout the day and also, sunlight is free.  Just ten minutes a day in the sun can help with your vitamin D recommendations. 

What do you think about this study?  I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make it Happen

Parents, I see you. I see you putting everyone else's needs in front of yours. I see your dark circles under your eyes, your gray hair, that your wasting away, or that you've collectively gained weight over the years. It's time to put yourselves first because if you don't take care of yourself you won't be around to keep taking care of everyone else. So often friends, acquaintances, or clients say to me, "I don't know how you find the time to exercise." "How can you take the time away from everything else and get away to exercise?" "I wish I could actually focus on myself and exercise." Exercise to me is self care. It produces endorphins faster than any other activity I engage in. It  reduces my stress, keeps me healthy, increases flexibility, and gives me more energy to be on point with my busy kids and my demanding job. My exercise isn't extravagant and it doesn't take too much time. Here's my secret. I always

Why this Dietitian Cares more about your PREbiotics than your PRObiotic Pill

Clients ask me all the time what I think of their brand of probiotic or which one they should start taking.  Studies have shown that probiotic supplements definitely have their place in certain circumstances (that’s a whole other blog for another time), but my bigger concern is... what are you feeding the ones you have already? “Probiotics” is just a fancy word for helpful bacteria.  Even if you don’t take a pill, you have these little guys in your digestive track.  The problem right now is that current probiotic supplements can only include the bacteria that scientists have been able to 1) identify and 2) put in a pill without them dying right away.   However, we (probiotic and non-probiotic users alike) have so many different strains of bacteria (somewhere in the neighborhood of billions) who do so much good for us such as make vitamins and help battle bad bacteria.  BUT - just like us - they need to eat!  A recent study showed that a diet high in protein is not in their

To The Bones- A review from a dietitian

Friday July 14th, Netflix premiered the movie To The Bone.  Prior to the premier many had opinions of the movie. Some were fearful that it would glorify an Eating Disorder, some felt the movie would put too much focus on extremely thin patients with Eating Disorders neglecting those that are within normal weight but still extremely sick, and many had a lot of opinions about the lead actress who lost a significant amount of weight for the role disclosing she is in recovery for an Eating Disorder. My colleagues and I discussed the pretense of the movie, I communicated to families that the movie was coming out in case their daughters and sons watched the movie, and Friday I went home from work and viewed the movie. Although Hollywood has a way of sensationalizing everything there was a lot that the movie got right. The opening scene where Ellen counts the calories as soon as she sees the food is a good depiction of how someone with an Eating Disorder thinks. Food is not sensual it i