Skip to main content

The Insightful Intern: Week 6


       These last 6 weeks have gone by incredibly fast and now there is only 1 week remaining. When I start to think of myself being in Amy’s shoes in 2 years it’s just the motivation I need to finish up my senior year. This internship has been like looking into my future and now I just need to push through one year of school and one year of an official internship to get where I want to be.

       I think what I am looking forward to most about being a dietitian, besides finally being done with classes, is having my own clients. I’ve seen a lot of Amy’s clients multiple times and it just hit me that I won’t continue to work with them or monitor their progress after next week. When you see people once a week for the entire summer, you definitely build a relationship and want to see them succeed. Dietetics is not a job that you leave at the office. I’ve found myself brainstorming about struggling clients at home and rooting for their success through every obstacle. Now it’s like beginning to read a book, but not being able to know the end. In a few years, when I have my own clients, I will be able to see them from start to finish and all that is in between. I will be able to witness my very own success stories just like I’ve seen at Kindred.

       Receiving a dietetics degree is definitely not an easy task. Although I still have my last and most challenging year ahead of me, I now believe that I have all the tools that will help get me to graduation and hopefully onto my next step of attaining a position for my official dietetics internship. Just one more week at Kindred and then its back to Florida State for me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miraculous Misconceptions: Raspberry Ketones

The interwebs are abuzz about the supposedly “miraculous” Raspberry Ketone supplements. Raspberry Ketone popularity started with Dr. Oz's show in February 2012, when he nicknamed it a “miracle weight loss drug.” Some even credit Raspberry Ketones with stimulating hair growth, but for our purposes here, let’s talk about weight loss. Raspberry Ketones are derived from red raspberries. Proponents claim that the supplement will stimulate your metabolism causing weight loss. However, there are no reliable studies to prove this.   Specifically there is no scientific evidence to show how it alters metabolism to promote weight loss. There is also no scientific evidence to determine a proper dosage. If you find a study that claims otherwise, check the funding source. Most likely, that study was funded by a company who produces or funds raspberry ketone products. As far as I know, no major pharmaceutical companies are investing in Raspberry Ketone research. And it is my opinion ...

Make it Happen

Parents, I see you. I see you putting everyone else's needs in front of yours. I see your dark circles under your eyes, your gray hair, that your wasting away, or that you've collectively gained weight over the years. It's time to put yourselves first because if you don't take care of yourself you won't be around to keep taking care of everyone else. So often friends, acquaintances, or clients say to me, "I don't know how you find the time to exercise." "How can you take the time away from everything else and get away to exercise?" "I wish I could actually focus on myself and exercise." Exercise to me is self care. It produces endorphins faster than any other activity I engage in. It  reduces my stress, keeps me healthy, increases flexibility, and gives me more energy to be on point with my busy kids and my demanding job. My exercise isn't extravagant and it doesn't take too much time. Here's my secret. I always ...

You are what you eat BUT it takes longer than a day!

Recent research by Cornell University published a week ago in the New England Journal of Medicine proves that holiday weight gain does happen and most of it is from October to about ten days after Christmas.  The study analyzed 3,000 individuals over a years time focusing on daily weights that were collected and analyzed by a wireless Withings Scale. Although the average weight gain from October to November was only 1.3 pounds this may prove that holiday weight gain is not a myth. Of interest, the study also showed that fifty percent lost the weight shortly after the holiday season while it took the other fifty percent about five months to lose the excess weight, shortly after Easter. Author Dr. Wansink advises  “Instead of a New Year’s resolution to lose weight, have an October resolution  not to gain too much weight  in the first place. Then you won’t have to worry about five months of struggling." At Kindred Nutrition we tend to agree with Dr. Wansin...