Skip to main content

Food Trends: New Year; New Gimmicks?

With every new year comes new gimmicks. Um, I mean diets or food trends. Yes that's what we'll call it.  I'm going to be honest with you, the New Year kind of drives me nuts. It's not that I don't appreciate a resolution or a desire to change, it's that I don't get why it can only happen in January and why it has to be something totally unconventional. There's no need for me to point out specifics or name call here but let's discuss a couple of things just to give you food for thought.

What miraculous ingredients does a shake have that helps you burn fat, build more muscle, or replace an actual complete meal?  Doesn't it get you a little angry that the people marketing this product assume you trust everything printed on a label and then have the nerve to sell you the product for a ridiculous amount of money?  How can a powder, which is degraded protein, be more wholesome than the real thing and why on earth does this single product have more protein than you require in a single meal? Eating more protein than you need, just like any other macronutrient, increases fat storage.

How about the "ho hum" diet.  "Eliminate this completely and your body will no longer suffer from inflammation."  How do we test for inflammation? Don't you worry you can do an online assessment and we can just tell based on your answers.  Never mind that one of the main food groups we are eliminating helps prevent against osteoporosis and vitamin deficiencies.

Or how about forcing yourself to fast for a day or 2. Don't worry, you are training your body to utilize it's fat stores more efficiently.  It doesn't matter a single bit what you eat when off the fast because your body will learn now to muddle through and bam your metabolism will be so efficient.

I am not against believing in something. In fact, believing in something and surrounding yourself with like people helps with accountability and success, but it's exhausting to see how the media and billion dollar companies are manipulating people.

The fact is there isn't a food or shake out there that can tell your body to digest or absorb it differently.  If you fast your body will be forced to go into anabolism. Your body will store your next meal and your metabolism will suffer greatly. Give it some time.

I've gotten used to this cycle so I'll just ignore the commercials and all the ads on the internet while I gear up up for May, Kindred's biggest month. The month when everyone comes to me for their second resolution.  I will welcome all my new clients with great empathy after they tell me their story and talk about how much they've drained their bank account.  We'll start a new plan and it will focus on whole foods, science, & feasibility. We'll work together until he or she is confident to stand alone and when we see each other in public, we will politely smile ear to ear because of the new truth and understanding of how much your life can change in a realistic, more affordable way.

Comments

Unknown said…
Very nice and informative article, thanks for this post..

Buy Forzest online
Unknown said…
Great Post and nice article.Interesting to read it.Thanks for sharing.
Unknown said…
Great Post and nice article.Interesting to read it.Thanks for sharing.
Generic Levitra

Popular posts from this blog

Make it Happen

Parents, I see you. I see you putting everyone else's needs in front of yours. I see your dark circles under your eyes, your gray hair, that your wasting away, or that you've collectively gained weight over the years. It's time to put yourselves first because if you don't take care of yourself you won't be around to keep taking care of everyone else. So often friends, acquaintances, or clients say to me, "I don't know how you find the time to exercise." "How can you take the time away from everything else and get away to exercise?" "I wish I could actually focus on myself and exercise." Exercise to me is self care. It produces endorphins faster than any other activity I engage in. It  reduces my stress, keeps me healthy, increases flexibility, and gives me more energy to be on point with my busy kids and my demanding job. My exercise isn't extravagant and it doesn't take too much time. Here's my secret. I always

Why this Dietitian Cares more about your PREbiotics than your PRObiotic Pill

Clients ask me all the time what I think of their brand of probiotic or which one they should start taking.  Studies have shown that probiotic supplements definitely have their place in certain circumstances (that’s a whole other blog for another time), but my bigger concern is... what are you feeding the ones you have already? “Probiotics” is just a fancy word for helpful bacteria.  Even if you don’t take a pill, you have these little guys in your digestive track.  The problem right now is that current probiotic supplements can only include the bacteria that scientists have been able to 1) identify and 2) put in a pill without them dying right away.   However, we (probiotic and non-probiotic users alike) have so many different strains of bacteria (somewhere in the neighborhood of billions) who do so much good for us such as make vitamins and help battle bad bacteria.  BUT - just like us - they need to eat!  A recent study showed that a diet high in protein is not in their

To The Bones- A review from a dietitian

Friday July 14th, Netflix premiered the movie To The Bone.  Prior to the premier many had opinions of the movie. Some were fearful that it would glorify an Eating Disorder, some felt the movie would put too much focus on extremely thin patients with Eating Disorders neglecting those that are within normal weight but still extremely sick, and many had a lot of opinions about the lead actress who lost a significant amount of weight for the role disclosing she is in recovery for an Eating Disorder. My colleagues and I discussed the pretense of the movie, I communicated to families that the movie was coming out in case their daughters and sons watched the movie, and Friday I went home from work and viewed the movie. Although Hollywood has a way of sensationalizing everything there was a lot that the movie got right. The opening scene where Ellen counts the calories as soon as she sees the food is a good depiction of how someone with an Eating Disorder thinks. Food is not sensual it i