Skip to main content

Common Challenges: The Art of the Start

I did the strangest thing today. I tried on all of my dresses I've collected in my closet for the last nine years. Why did I do this you ask?  I was cleaning out my closet and I was celebrating reaching my pre wedding weight.

I'm a dietitian. I'm a mom. I have two jobs and I watch what I eat for the most part but with all that I have going on I have definitely put my dietary habits at the bottom of the barrel.  Sometimes I go through my day and by the time I sit down to eat I'm in crisis mode which is not the best mode to be in to allow for wise decisions.

I exercise intensely four times a week and since I've had my children who are ages three and two, I have held on to nine pounds.  This may not sound like a lot, and I'm not saying it is, but for me at five feet two it’s a pant size.

So instead of practicing what I preach I decided to treat myself like a client.  I did the food records; I analyzed my intake to goal, and changed up my routine.  It was hard to prioritize and at times I felt selfish not doing the baths for my children because I needed to get my exercise in. I was even tired getting up early in the a.m. to prep our dinner but I feel great and I'm confident that what I preach works if you're willing to put the effort in.

If you want to lose weight and keep it off there are five critical components:
1. Have a reasonable goal - (lose 1-2 pounds a week)
2. Schedule your time - (work out from 7:730 am every M, W, F, and Sat)
3. Keep Records - (write it down, it keeps you honest)
4. Hold yourself accountable- (tell your family or friends your goals, or get a buddy)
5. Celebrate your successes- (don't reward yourself with food, go to the movies, buy a new book)

As Walt Disney said "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing."  Good luck and be well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Insightful Intern - Eating to Lose Weight

In order to lose weight, we often are told that energy out must be greater than energy in.   In other words, calories taken in must be less than the calories we use in all of our daily activities.  So, to lose weight we cut calories and try to increase activity.  (Granted, there is more to weight loss/maintenance than just an exchange in energy.  What if we cut too many calories or don’t eat enough?
Since I started at Kindred Nutrition, I’ve heard many of Amy’s or Dawn’s clients talk about how they’ve cut back on calories to lose weight but have hit a weight-loss plateau.  Many a time when a client discusses this occurrence, we eventually come to the conclusion that the client is not eating enough.  This probably sounds foreign but you do need to eat in order to lose weight!  If you’re not eating enough your body goes into “starvation mode.”   Then whenever you do eat your body automatically stores those calories as fat because it is worried that it is not going to get enough calorie…

Food Trends: Macros Misconstrued

Oh Macros, how I love thee. You are the foundation of my nutrition recommendations. You should be individualized and different for everyone although you are "prescribed" routinely the same person to person. You are scientific, there is not a one size fits all, and frankly you are misunderstood.

A couple of years ago Macros started to become more popular in the www world when a brilliant someone decided to market magical macro percentages to induce weight loss, body massing, and everything else under the sun. The thought process is to start with grams of protein needs dependent on body weight, to then look at range of fats between 25-35% dependent on goals and body type, and to provide the remaining of your macro goals from carbohydrates.  How easy, especially since everyone has the same protein needs, insert sarcasm here.

Right away many bought into this bullet proof hope and we now have too many folks determining and "prescribing" ratios for people who aren't …

Insightful Intern: Meet Maryellen

We've been so lucky at Kindred Nutrition this year to have two great interns. Read below to see how a student athlete views her experience so far at Kindred Nutrition. We can't wait to follow her season this year!
I’m Maryellen Hauver and I am one of the interns spending time at Kindred Nutrition this summer. I just completed my sophomore year at Bridgewater College, studying Nutritional Science. As I got into my major at school, I began to consider what job I would like to use my degree for after school. In my classes I mostly heard about working as a Registered Dietitian. Before choosing this as my career of pursuit, I wanted to get some experience that would help me understand exactly what the job entails. Knowing that I would be home for the summer, I did some research about dietitians in the Frederick area. Through the magic of Google, I found Amy! I also discovered this blog and saw that she had taken college student interns in the past. It appeared to be the perfect op…