Skip to main content

Family Nutrition: Parents- Powerful or Powerless When it comes to Food Choices by Toddlers

I see clients of all ages, from infancy to geriatrics.  The common theme of all of my clients is at one time or another they were toddlers.  Sometimes I see older clients who describe early patterns that I suspect are partly responsible for the way a current client eats or “diets.”  At other times, I see toddlers who “rule their roost” and need a little nudge from their parents for a stricter regimen.
I’ve written a lot about toddlers.  Mostly because I think this is a very specific time to start introducing good nutrition habits, but also because I am in the toddler zone with a four and almost three year old.  This is a time when textures, smells, and taste can be very scary.  If you mix that in with a child who is developing their independence, this can be one challenging time.
I have many parents ask me what the right thing to do is for their toddler and I’ve addressed this in some of my other articles (check them out by searching toddler in the blog search).  Here are a couple of things I will also suggest.
1)      At the age of 2, start offering your toddler the same meal you are cooking for the “adults.”
2)      Recognize that textures, smells, and taste can be sensitive to your toddler, but always stick with making the toddler try each item on their plate.
3)      Pay attention to portion size.  New items are overwhelming and portions should not be too big.
4)      When coordinating your meal, insure that there is one item that you are sure the child will eat.  This becomes the “safe” food.
5)      If your child refuses to eat any of the new items and asks for more of the “safe” food be firm and explain to the child that they can get more of the “safe” food if they eat or try the other accompanying foods.
6)      Be specific when you are talking about how much needs to be eaten of the accompanying foods.  Toddlers are smart and manipulative.  If you generally tell them to eat something they will expect and demand more of that safe food after one taste.
7)      If it becomes a battle and your child will not try the new items, simply excuse the child from the table to avoid a negative experience. 
8)      If your child complains of hunger offer an apple or other fruit or a vegetable.  If children are hungry they will eat what they are offered.  If they refuse it, they’re most likely not as hungry as their temper.

Are you reading this and thinking yeah right?  I get it.  There have been many times I’ve wanted to throw in the towel, but my end goal to have  responsible children who understand the true meaning of food for fuel always wins out. You as the parent are the number one controlling factor for instilling healthy nutrition to your child.  If you are consistent with your behavior your child will start to understand that food is for fuel and that leaving a table without eating anything but ¼ of rice results in a hungry stomach.  Your smart and manipulative toddler will soon learn that he/she will need to eat dinner to prevent hunger and fatigue in the future.
Research proves my thought that the parent is powerful.  A recent research study completed at Texas A&M University studied 75 children ages 3 to 5.  In the study, the toddlers watched two shows.  One show had commercials primarily advertising french fries and another advertised apples and dipping sauces.   After the shows were completed, toddlers were allowed to pick a coupon of either the french fries or the apples.  Parents were asked to provide input, half who encouraged their child to eat healthy and half who were neutral. 
Seventy five percent of the toddlers who watched the french fry commercials chose french fries if their parents remained neutral but when parents encouraged healthy choices this number dropped to 55%.  Forty six percent of the toddlers who watched the commercials with the apple slices picked french fries and when parents encouraged healthy choices only 33% continued to pick the french fries.
This study showed that advertisements do have an influence on children’s choices; however parents encouragement to eat healthy was able to undo some of the messages by commercials. 
Parents you aren’t powerless.  Be consistent, be a good role model, and may the force be with you to be patient.  Good luck and be well.
The picky toddler not happy with his choice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make it Happen

Parents, I see you. I see you putting everyone else's needs in front of yours. I see your dark circles under your eyes, your gray hair, that your wasting away, or that you've collectively gained weight over the years. It's time to put yourselves first because if you don't take care of yourself you won't be around to keep taking care of everyone else. So often friends, acquaintances, or clients say to me, "I don't know how you find the time to exercise." "How can you take the time away from everything else and get away to exercise?" "I wish I could actually focus on myself and exercise." Exercise to me is self care. It produces endorphins faster than any other activity I engage in. It  reduces my stress, keeps me healthy, increases flexibility, and gives me more energy to be on point with my busy kids and my demanding job. My exercise isn't extravagant and it doesn't take too much time. Here's my secret. I always

Why this Dietitian Cares more about your PREbiotics than your PRObiotic Pill

Clients ask me all the time what I think of their brand of probiotic or which one they should start taking.  Studies have shown that probiotic supplements definitely have their place in certain circumstances (that’s a whole other blog for another time), but my bigger concern is... what are you feeding the ones you have already? “Probiotics” is just a fancy word for helpful bacteria.  Even if you don’t take a pill, you have these little guys in your digestive track.  The problem right now is that current probiotic supplements can only include the bacteria that scientists have been able to 1) identify and 2) put in a pill without them dying right away.   However, we (probiotic and non-probiotic users alike) have so many different strains of bacteria (somewhere in the neighborhood of billions) who do so much good for us such as make vitamins and help battle bad bacteria.  BUT - just like us - they need to eat!  A recent study showed that a diet high in protein is not in their

To The Bones- A review from a dietitian

Friday July 14th, Netflix premiered the movie To The Bone.  Prior to the premier many had opinions of the movie. Some were fearful that it would glorify an Eating Disorder, some felt the movie would put too much focus on extremely thin patients with Eating Disorders neglecting those that are within normal weight but still extremely sick, and many had a lot of opinions about the lead actress who lost a significant amount of weight for the role disclosing she is in recovery for an Eating Disorder. My colleagues and I discussed the pretense of the movie, I communicated to families that the movie was coming out in case their daughters and sons watched the movie, and Friday I went home from work and viewed the movie. Although Hollywood has a way of sensationalizing everything there was a lot that the movie got right. The opening scene where Ellen counts the calories as soon as she sees the food is a good depiction of how someone with an Eating Disorder thinks. Food is not sensual it i