Skip to main content

Common Challenges: Happy New Year - tips for a healthy 2012

Ah, January and New Year’s resolutions.  Those who consistently go to the gym throughout the year get slightly bothered in the beginning months of because of how crowded it is, the grocery stores notice healthier purchasing and increase their marketing and coupons on the organic or health foods, and dietitians read advertisement after advertisement on the web, in the newspaper, or in magazines promising for fast easy results as we roll our eyes (at least this one does).

I think it’s a great idea to make a resolution but it’s important to make it realistic and measureable to keep motivation and accountability intact.  Instead of saying “2012 is the year of health” why not make a specific measureable goal, share it, and have a buddy who can cheer you on?  I’d recommend changing the statement “2012 is the year of health” to, “in 2012, I will focus on eating 2 additional servings of fruits and vegetables and decreasing my lean protein from 7 oz. to 4 oz.”  Share the goal, hold yourself accountable, and monitor results.

If you are having a hard time finding specific goals here’s an idea to live by in 2012:

1)      Do not skip meals.  Skipping meals decreases your metabolism and forces your body into a state where it always feels it needs to store your food.  (see The vicious cycle of eating too little)

2)      Try to eat every four hours.  This will keep your metabolism moving forward and nourishment will provide fuel to make your body efficient.

3)      Insure each meal has a combination of lean protein, complex carbohydrates, and plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables for fiber.  This will help with satiety and provide the appropriate vitamins and minerals your body needs.

4)      Make sure you drink 64-80 ounces of water a day. Our bodies are horrible with telling us we are dehydrated.  Often times our body confuses hunger with dehydration which can cause mindless snacking.

Lastly, I’ll leave you with this note. I read a quote last week that said “you can’t out-exercise a bad diet.”  This is so very true.  If you are planning to shell the money out for a gym deposit and monthly fees, why not see a dietitian first to insure you are eating appropriately? In the long run the visit with your dietitian can be less expensive and provide you with tips that can change your life.  Remember, most that go to the gym and complete cardio for 30 minutes burn approximately 250-300 calories.  You get those calories right back with a Chobani yogurt and ½ cup of fruit.  Healthy choices yes, but you are right back where you started from the calorie perspective.  If weight loss is the goal, your diet is just as important as your gym activity.  So what are you waiting for?  Make a decision that will change your life.  Call a dietitian today and get your assessment.  Need help?  Email me and I’ll even help you find a local dietitian in your area.  Cheers to a happy, healthy 2012!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make it Happen

Parents, I see you. I see you putting everyone else's needs in front of yours. I see your dark circles under your eyes, your gray hair, that your wasting away, or that you've collectively gained weight over the years. It's time to put yourselves first because if you don't take care of yourself you won't be around to keep taking care of everyone else. So often friends, acquaintances, or clients say to me, "I don't know how you find the time to exercise." "How can you take the time away from everything else and get away to exercise?" "I wish I could actually focus on myself and exercise." Exercise to me is self care. It produces endorphins faster than any other activity I engage in. It  reduces my stress, keeps me healthy, increases flexibility, and gives me more energy to be on point with my busy kids and my demanding job. My exercise isn't extravagant and it doesn't take too much time. Here's my secret. I always

Why this Dietitian Cares more about your PREbiotics than your PRObiotic Pill

Clients ask me all the time what I think of their brand of probiotic or which one they should start taking.  Studies have shown that probiotic supplements definitely have their place in certain circumstances (that’s a whole other blog for another time), but my bigger concern is... what are you feeding the ones you have already? “Probiotics” is just a fancy word for helpful bacteria.  Even if you don’t take a pill, you have these little guys in your digestive track.  The problem right now is that current probiotic supplements can only include the bacteria that scientists have been able to 1) identify and 2) put in a pill without them dying right away.   However, we (probiotic and non-probiotic users alike) have so many different strains of bacteria (somewhere in the neighborhood of billions) who do so much good for us such as make vitamins and help battle bad bacteria.  BUT - just like us - they need to eat!  A recent study showed that a diet high in protein is not in their

To The Bones- A review from a dietitian

Friday July 14th, Netflix premiered the movie To The Bone.  Prior to the premier many had opinions of the movie. Some were fearful that it would glorify an Eating Disorder, some felt the movie would put too much focus on extremely thin patients with Eating Disorders neglecting those that are within normal weight but still extremely sick, and many had a lot of opinions about the lead actress who lost a significant amount of weight for the role disclosing she is in recovery for an Eating Disorder. My colleagues and I discussed the pretense of the movie, I communicated to families that the movie was coming out in case their daughters and sons watched the movie, and Friday I went home from work and viewed the movie. Although Hollywood has a way of sensationalizing everything there was a lot that the movie got right. The opening scene where Ellen counts the calories as soon as she sees the food is a good depiction of how someone with an Eating Disorder thinks. Food is not sensual it i