Skip to main content

Common Challenges: Dreaded Dinner Decisions

Making good decisions for meals starts with what I have on hand in my pantry and kitchen.  Basically, if I don’t have the food or the organization, I struggle with ideas and get stressed with the little time I have to make dinner for my family.  Between the end of the work day and daycare pickup, all of a sudden I’m ordering out again which is an added expense and an added frustration.

In my house both me and my husband work with commutes, and struggle daily with the tag team event of who’s picking up the kids and getting dinner started.  It is imperative that I have food in the house and have an organized menu put together to prevent going into crisis mode and calling for delivery or running to get something quick before bath and bedtime is upon us.  For those of you who have homework and team sports, I can imagine dinner time is an even more stressful event.

I’ve found the following tactics work for me and my family.  If we sway too far from the plan we end up off track, so it’s important that all the adults are aware of the plan and able to make the commitment to make it a success.

  • Every Saturday morning while the kids are watching some cartoons or playing a game a five day menu is put together for dinner meals.  Five days is for five fresh dinners, one leftover dinner, and one weekend event which is left open as we usually grill with friends or visit a restaurant.
  • Sunday is our big meal.  The recipe is doubled so this meal acts as a leftover meal during the week.
  • Based off the menu, a grocery list is made and coupons are researched through www.coupon.com.  I only cut the coupons for what I was planning to buy.
  • On our designated grocery shopping day, one of the adults grocery shops by themselves or with one of the kids to divide and conquer.
  • Once the food is home, it is immediately packed up into portion sizes and either frozen or put in the refrigerator dependent on the menu.
  • Every morning the meat or meatless frozen item is taken out of the freezer to be thawed and ready for use by dinner time. 
The first adult home starts dinner and has a snack ready for the kids as we enter transition mode, the craziest part of our day.  We then eat our dinner, relax a bit and get ready to do it all over again tomorrow.  I truly feel it’s my responsibility as a parent and dietitian to provide good substantial meals for my family. If I don’t make it a priority or a commitment, it won’t happen and my family is too important to me to move this down the priority list.  What commitments do you make to your family to provide them with healthy meals? Please share I’m always looking for new ideas.  Good luck and be well.


Comments

Kathryn said…
Great ideas. I am starting a healthy cooking co-op among 5 families that want to put healthy meals on the table every night. We will each make 2 different recipes of 5 meals that serve 4-6 people. We freeze them and then swap meals so each family gets 10 homemade healthy frozen meals. If I combine this idea with yours I will be able to stretch my melas out.
Ask Amy said…
That sounds like a great idea Kathryn. I've always wanted to do that. Keep me posted on how the co-op goes. Maybe I'll suggest that to my neighbors;)

Popular posts from this blog

Make it Happen

Parents, I see you. I see you putting everyone else's needs in front of yours. I see your dark circles under your eyes, your gray hair, that your wasting away, or that you've collectively gained weight over the years. It's time to put yourselves first because if you don't take care of yourself you won't be around to keep taking care of everyone else. So often friends, acquaintances, or clients say to me, "I don't know how you find the time to exercise." "How can you take the time away from everything else and get away to exercise?" "I wish I could actually focus on myself and exercise." Exercise to me is self care. It produces endorphins faster than any other activity I engage in. It  reduces my stress, keeps me healthy, increases flexibility, and gives me more energy to be on point with my busy kids and my demanding job. My exercise isn't extravagant and it doesn't take too much time. Here's my secret. I always

Why this Dietitian Cares more about your PREbiotics than your PRObiotic Pill

Clients ask me all the time what I think of their brand of probiotic or which one they should start taking.  Studies have shown that probiotic supplements definitely have their place in certain circumstances (that’s a whole other blog for another time), but my bigger concern is... what are you feeding the ones you have already? “Probiotics” is just a fancy word for helpful bacteria.  Even if you don’t take a pill, you have these little guys in your digestive track.  The problem right now is that current probiotic supplements can only include the bacteria that scientists have been able to 1) identify and 2) put in a pill without them dying right away.   However, we (probiotic and non-probiotic users alike) have so many different strains of bacteria (somewhere in the neighborhood of billions) who do so much good for us such as make vitamins and help battle bad bacteria.  BUT - just like us - they need to eat!  A recent study showed that a diet high in protein is not in their

To The Bones- A review from a dietitian

Friday July 14th, Netflix premiered the movie To The Bone.  Prior to the premier many had opinions of the movie. Some were fearful that it would glorify an Eating Disorder, some felt the movie would put too much focus on extremely thin patients with Eating Disorders neglecting those that are within normal weight but still extremely sick, and many had a lot of opinions about the lead actress who lost a significant amount of weight for the role disclosing she is in recovery for an Eating Disorder. My colleagues and I discussed the pretense of the movie, I communicated to families that the movie was coming out in case their daughters and sons watched the movie, and Friday I went home from work and viewed the movie. Although Hollywood has a way of sensationalizing everything there was a lot that the movie got right. The opening scene where Ellen counts the calories as soon as she sees the food is a good depiction of how someone with an Eating Disorder thinks. Food is not sensual it i